Choosing Hats offers an IRC channel on the RefChat IRC network – #choosinghats. The focus of the #choosinghats channel is identical to that of the blog – to educate Christians on and promote the use of Presuppositional/Covenantal apologetics. Its purpose is not to provide a preaching platform for non-Christian faiths, nor is its purpose to offer non-Christian faiths an equal say, or equal time. If you are a member of a group that is not considered to be Biblical in light of confessional orthodoxy, please understand that you are not considered to be offering a Christian Gospel or apologetic, and are in fact a candidate for the Gospel, as well as its defense.
Our emphasis in #choosinghats is the principles of Presuppositional/Covenantal apologetics, as well as the requisite theological underpinnings, with the assumed audience to be Christian, orthodox, and willing to learn or teach about Presuppositional/Covenantal apologetics or theology. This does not mean everyone who visits this channel and engages in discussion will fit this description. We have regular visitors who, while they are not orthodox, have learned to dialogue in a respectful way.
While we do not allow debate on the Choosing Hats blog, we allow (and welcome it) on the #choosinghats IRC channel. However, there are some rules which govern all conversation in channel, found below.
You can gain access to #choosinghats from the RefChat IRC network. Once you are connected, simply type “/join #choosinghats” to join our chat channel.
If you do not currently have a chat client already installed, we can recommend two – one for the Mac and one for Windows. For the Mac, Colloquy is the recommended client. For a Windows PC, we recommend mIRC. For those who are using a Chatzilla-enabled browser (or Opera), just click here to be taken directly to the channel.
An open source, modern, federated chat and voice client with a full range of encryption features.
A modern chat and voice client used by many gamers.
“Bridging” creates interoperability between clients, enabling all concurrent users to communicate in the same space, regardless of client choice.
* We consider profane, blasphemous, or vulgar statements, interjections, hostmasks, taglines, nicks and quit messages to be disrespectful – don’t use them.
* We consider any behavior that detracts from the flow of reasonable discussion including flooding, repeating, quote-spamming, rudeness, beeping, abuse of the Biblebot, messaging the ops and/or other users contrary to their wishes, as well as fallacious and/or ad hominem arguments to be disruptive. We also consider violation of the Hierarchy of Discourse (below) to be disruptive.
* We ask that all discussions take place in English, unless otherwise stipulated by a channel operator.
* We do not appreciate those who do not interact for extended periods of time. We understand that people need to step away from the computer from time to time, but don’t “park” in channel. Ops and bots are there to keep logs, and to monitor the channel. The channel bot will enforce our “no-parking” rule as we deem applicable, and exceptions are at the discretion of the channel managers.
* Please try to use only one nickname or at least keep the first few characters the same. This helps us remember who you are if you come back and want to continue a discussion.
* Hierarchy of discursive priorities:
o Disputations and/or teaching discussions between Operators and Users
o Disputations between Christians and non-Christians (distinguished by confessional orthodoxy)
o Disputations and/or teaching discussions between Christians and those who claim the name of Christ, but are heretodox.
o Smalltalk and fellowship.
o Intramural disputations and/or teaching discussions among Christians on secondary matters.
* Questions or comments about the channel’s rules and their enforcement should be directed to the channel manager via email or private message or sent by private message to a presiding channel operator, and should not be discussed in the channel.
* Initial violation of any of these rules will result in a warning.
* Further or repeated violation of a rule may result in dismissal or exclusion from the channel, subject to the discretion of the penalizing channel operator.
* A first violation may result in immediate dismissal or exclusion, at the discretion of the presiding ops.
* Ban evasion may result in your permanent exclusion from channel.
* All channel activity is logged, so the channel manager(s) may review that information at any time.
* The decisions of the channel manager are final.
Channel Owner: BKing
Channel Managers: RazorsKiss, brigand
Half-Ops: cco3, what_ever
Enjoy your stay, and rightly divide the Word of Truth!
You may also visit us using the applet below from Mibbit. Choosing Hats, however, does not participate or have any control of the advertising Mibbit uses. We recommend using Firefox with the AdBlock+ extension to remove the advertisements.